Johnson vs County of San Benito | lawsuit instated
- wrongful accusations/ police intervention, April 2013: Johnson, recently divorced, was falsely accused of child abuse by his wife, with the aid of her new husband and of the county undersheriff. He is now suing Turturici who, as undersheriff for the San Benito County Sheriff’s Department in 2010, conducted a “bias and result-oriented investigation” for “retaliatory, bad-faith and unlawful purposes” against Johnson.
Brian McVeigh vs Recology | lawsuit reinstated
- abusive termination of employment, January 2013: employee/whistleblower fired for reporting fraud in the “buy-back” program of recycled glass, plastic and aluminum get his lawsuit reinstated. McVeigh leveled serious charges of fraud, embezzlement and corruption against San Francisco-based Recology, accusing the unregulated garbage collection monopoly of bilking the State of California and taxpayers out of millions of dollars.
Edward Hogya vs City of Petaluma | $500k settlement
- police misconduct, December 2012: Petaluma city has agreed to pay $500,000 to a man who was bitten by a police dog, leaving him with a missing chunk of biceps.
Derwin Longmire vs City of Oakland
- October 2012: Sgt. Derwin Longmire sued the city of Oakland on grounds of discrimination when Police Chief Howard Jordan and others believed he was a Black Muslim and sympathetic to members of Your Black Muslim Bakery.
Patricia DeSantis vs City of Santa Rosa | $500k settlement
– police shooting death case: The U.S. Supreme Court cleared the way Monday for the family of a man with bipolar disorder to go to trial in a suit against Santa Rosa and its Police Department, which said officers mistakenly thought he was armed when they shot him to death in 2007.
Randall Dunklin vs Noah Mallinger | man is acquitted
- police brutality, December 2011: Randall Dunklin has been acquitted of charges that he stabbed an officer just before he was shot.
Hammond vs Contra Costa County | 1.4M settlement
– police shooting death case, September 2011: Contra Costa County has agreed to pay $1.4 million to the children of a hospital patient who was shot dead by sheriff’s deputies after wielding a knife.
Peter McFarland vs County of Marin | 1.9M settlement
- police brutality, April 2011: Marin County has agreed to pay $1.9 million to settle a lawsuit filed by a man who accused sheriff’s deputies of shocking him with a Taser when he refused to go to the hospital after he fell.
Carrethers vs Alameda County Police | man is aquitted
- police brutality, January 2009: the charges of resisting arrest were dropped as Johannes Mehserle was proved to be using excessive force against him a month and a half before Mehserle was caught on video tape shooting Oscar Grant.